Scholarships in China
CITCM can support talented students wishing to apply for “Confucius Institute Scholarships”. These scholarships provide school students, university students and Chinese language teachers with the perfect opportunity to study in China and enhance their existing language skills.
Every year there is a wide variety of scholarships available, and no matter which course you choose, carrying out a Confucius Institute Scholarship will significantly enhance your CV, will give you a real taste of Chinese language and culture and will provide you with the study opportunity of a lifetime!
- Be a non-Chinese citizen;
- Be friendly to China, have no criminal record, abide by the laws and regulations of China and the rules and regulations of the Host Institution;
- Be in good physical and mental health, be in good academic and behavioral standing;
- Be interested in Chinese language education and related work;
- Be aged between 16 and 35 years on September 1, 2023. The maximum age limit for in-service Chinese teachers may be extended to 45, but those who apply for a scholarship for a Bachelor’s degree shall be younger than 25 under most circumstances.
- In order to obtain a letter of recommendation, applicants must have 1) completed an HSK course at CITCM, 2) obtained an HSK certificate at CITCM, and 3) must have shown commitment to Mandarin learning for the duration of the preparation period.
A. Scholarship for Online Programmes
Online Programme for One-Year Chinese Language Study commences in September or March each year. Under most circumstances, a score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 3) is required, and priority will be given to those who also provide an HSKK test score.
Online Program for One-Semester Chinese Language Study commences in September or March each year. Under most circumstances, an HSK test score (regardless of level or score) is required.
Please consult Host Institute for the eligibility and application for Special Online Study Programs.
B. Chinese Language Teacher Programme
a) Scholarship for Doctor’s Degree in International Chinese Language Education
b) Scholarship for Master’s Degree in International Chinese Language Education
c) Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in International Chinese Language Education
d) Scholarship for One-Year Study
e) Scholarship for One-Semester Study
f) Scholarship for Four-Week Study
Check Prospectus for more information
The scholarship will cover the cost of the following:
- Tuition fees
- Accommodation on campus during term time
- Monthly living allowance (excluding four-week study program students)
- Comprehensive medical insurance
Check Scholarship Coverage and Standard for more details
Application and Recruitment Procedures
Online registration will be available from March 1, 2023 on the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website (link).
You may search for Recommending Institutions (us) and Host Institutions (Harbin Normal University or Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine (HUCM)); submit application materials online; and track the application process.
Check List of Application Materials for documents that you need to submit.
The successful applicant must confirm with the Host Institutions to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out the scholarship certificate online, and register at the Host Institution on the designated date as per the Letter of Admission.
Application Deadlines (Beijing Time)
- For programs commencing in July, applicants must complete their applications by April 15, and Recommending Institutions and Host Institutions must complete the review by April 25.
- For programs commencing in September, applicants must complete their applications by May 15, and Recommending Institutions and Host Institutions must complete the review by May 25.
- For programs commencing in December, applicants must complete their applications by September 15, and Recommending Institutions and Host Institutions must complete the review by September 25.
- For programs commencing in March 2024, applicants must complete their applications by November 15, and Recommending Institutions and Host Institutions must complete the review by November 25.
Centre for Language Education and Cooperation (CLEC) will entrust an expert panel to review the applications. Decisions will be based on HSK and HSKK levels and scores, geographical distribution, and other factors. The results will be published about three month.
We recommend students to apply for scholarships at either 1) Harbin Normal University or 2) Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine (HUCM).
As these are our partner universities, we will be able to provide greater support every step of the way, from application to your arrival in China. Moreover, if you choose to study at these universities, we can guarantee a better chance that you scholarship application will be successful.
Cost for Students
- Pre-departure Mandarin Course at CITCM LSBU
- HSK exam fees
- Visa application fees
- International return flight ticket
- All personal spending in China (including food, travel etc.) For 1 year and 1 semester students, this personal spending will be subsidised by the monthly living allowance. For the 4 week scholarship, no subsidy will be provided for personal spending.
- For more information about these scholarships please visit the official Confucius Institute Scholarships website
- For any general queries about the scholarships please contact CITCM who will be able to advise accordingly.